There are plans to chop down a large section of these trees in the rainforests of Brazil. Below are some reasons why people might be against this happening.
• People live in the rainforests and they may lose their homes and their way of life if trees around them are cut down. Being re-homed in a city wouldn’t be the same.
• Many different plants and animals exist only in rainforests, and if they no longer have a place to live their species is at risk of becoming extinct.
• 20% of the Oxygen we breathe in produced in the Amazon rainforest, and we need this Oxygen to survive.
• Many plants used in medicines have been found in rainforests. If we destroy the rainforests we could destroy life-saving medicines.
• There are other things which people can use for light and heat without having to burn wood on a fire. Electricity doesn’t fun out but trees might!